Health Sciences / Healthcare / Life Sciences
The Spokane region is a rapidly expanding Center of Excellence for comprehensive healthcare services, medical research, education, and the development of leading-edge medical products and health science technologies. As the largest healthcare, health sciences and medical education hub from Seattle to Minneapolis, and Calgary to Salt Lake City, Spokane provides services to a larger population of approximately 1.2 million.
- 1,100 health-related businesses and five major hospitals employ 34,000 people; well over 20% of Spokane’s employment base
- Currently a billion dollar industry in the region, projected to grow to $2.5 billion within ten years
- Spokane’s University District, located in the heart of downtown Spokane, provides connections between the healthcare industry center and the institutions of medical education. Education partners include:
- Community Colleges of Spokane – second largest allied health program in the U.S.
- Eastern Washington University Spokane – physical therapy, dentistry, communications disorders and nursing
- Gonzaga University – new School of Nursing
- University of Washington Medical School – site for the WWAMI medical education program
- Washington State University Spokane – Washington State’s Health Sciences Campus and recently legislated Medical School, providing medical, pharmacy and nursing education in addition to health sciences research and development - WSU’s Regents have approved a $300M health sciences expansion over the next 10 years
- Whitworth University
Research and development activities are expanding with areas of research in neuroscience, cancer, cardiovascular, diabetes, addiction, aging, speech and hearing.
Research entities include:
- Eastern Washington University
- Washington State University College of Nursing Clinical Simulation Lab
- Washington State University Sleep and Performance Research Center
- Washington State University Applied Sciences Lab
- National Institute of Safety and Health Spokane Regional Lab
- Providence Medical Research Spokane
- Premier Clinical Research
- Rockwood Research Center
- The fastest growing health sciences campus in North America
- The Health Sciences and Services Authority (HSSA) of Spokane County promotes bioscience-based economic development through a variety of grant programs including a Match Grant program
- Ignite Northwest, accelerator services and funding options
- Washington State University Spokane Center for Innovation
- A well-educated workforce offering Associate, BA, Graduate and PhD graduates
- State incentive programs
SRM Spokane, an expansion of Seattle Reproductive Medicine, is now able to serve a large catchment area including North Idaho and Montana from the new Spokane Valley office.
Health Care Industry in Spokane County
Contact Business Development Manager, Stacia Rasmussen, 509.321.3637.