About University District
Step into 770 acres of proven potential. Whether you are a developer eyeing property, a company seeking top talent and collaborations, or an investor scouting promising start-ups, Spokane’s University District is ready for you.
Years of thoughtful visioning and master planning, infrastructure investments and brownfield remediation, rezoning and legislated tax incentives yield a rich environment for developers to break ground and prosper.
The powerful intersection of six colleges and universities, two medical schools, a life sciences hub, and private industry give employers a significant advantage and companies early access to bold solutions in energy, healthcare, and IT.
From its long history as a gathering and trading place, to its deep roots in education and industry, to its current position as a hot spot for medical education, sustainable building, and smart grid technology, your growth opportunity has an address: Spokane’s University District.
Key Data Points:
- Over $100M in private construction underway in 2021; over 600 housing units to be completed by end of 2022
- Home to six higher-ed institutions, two medical schools (University of Washington and Gonzaga University Health Partnership, and WSU Health Sciences Spokane Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine), and the Steve Gleason Institute for Neuroscience
- Home to the Northwest’s greenest buildings: The Catalyst Building and the Scott Morris Center for Energy Innovation
- Connected by the future High-Performance City Line
- Multiple bike and ped trails, as well as Spokane River accessibility by SUP and kayak
- Home of the nationally-recognized, smart city innovator Urbanova and its Living Laboratory
- Headquarters for Spokane County's new Medical Examiner's Office
- Location of Spokane Teaching Health Center (STHC) and the Veteran's Affairs Clinic Partnership