About West Plains Airport Area Public Development Authority
The West Plains Airport Area Public Development Authority was created in July 2017 through a joint partnership with the City of Spokane, Spokane County and Spokane International Airport for the purpose of growing economic prosperity in the West Plains region.
The purpose of the PDA is to provide a legal entity organized under RCW 35.21.730 - .757 to undertake, assist with and otherwise facilitate the acquisition, construction, development equipping, leasing, operation and maintenance of public benefit projects within the PDA boundaries as defined in the Interlocal Agreement in order to assist both the City, County and the Spokane International Airport in their ability to improve the economic conditions in and around the City and County of Spokane.
Recently the there have been two Federal BUILD grants awarded in the PDA. The first for $14.7 million is being matched by local public and private funds to expand the Medical Lake and Geiger Boulevard Interchanges with Interstate 90. The grant is also reconstructing and expanding Geiger Boulevard and providing utility stubs to the adjacent parcels providing shovel ready sites. The second BUILD grant of $11.3 million will be combined with local match to construct a regional transload facility in 2020.
Recent private investments announced in the PDA include companies like Amazon, Kenworth Truck Sales, North 40 Country Stores, Selkirk Pharma, Marriot Springhill Suites, Sleep Inn, Cambia Hotels, Bush Carwash, Mullen USA and several more. With available land, infrastructure and access to roads, runways and rail, the West Plains is experiencing unprecedented growth.
Meeting dates, time and location: the PDA Board meets the 2nd Thursday of each month from 7:30 a.m. to 9 a.m. for a Board Work Session and the 3rd Thursday of each month from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. for a Board Meeting. Both meetings are held at 7106 W Will D Alton Lane, Suite 103, Spokane, WA 99224.
Key Data Points:
The West Plains Airport Area Public Development Authority and Spokane region have many incentives to locate your business. In the West Plains PDA you will have access to:
- City of Spokane Utilities and Utility Rates for Water and Sewer
- Natural Gas Provided by Avista
- Low Power Rates from Inland Power or Avista
- Waived General Facilities Charges
- New Market Tax Credits and Opportunity Zone
- Community Empowerment Zone
- B&O Tax Credits on New Qualifying Jobs Created ($2k to $4k per Job)
- Foreign Trade Zone #224
- Runway Access - Adjacent to Spokane International Airport
- Roadway Access - Interstate 90 and State Hwy 2
- Rail Access - Class One Rail Carrier Access via the Washington Eastern Railway
- Build to Suit Opportunities for Lease, Sale or with Options to Purchase
In the Spokane Region you will have access to:
- Aerospace and Manufacturing Tax Credits
- Higher Education - University of Washington, Washington State University, Eastern Washington University, Whitworth, Gonzaga, Spokane Community College and Spokane Falls Community College
- Median Home Value of $245,800
- Clusters in Aerospace, Advanced Manufacturing, Logistics, Life Sciences, IT/Energy and Agribusiness
- Outdoor Recreation - 76 Lakes and Rivers, 35 Public Golf Courses, 5 Ski Resorts
Learn more about the West Plains Airport Area Public Development Authority
West Plains boasts $500 million in private work
July 18, 2019
The West Plains has become a hotbed of development, with just under $500 million in new and ongoing construction occurring in the area. Structures with a total of about 4.7 million square feet are planned or under development, and about 5,000 jobs a... READ MORE
Young Selkirk Pharma envisions big facility on West Plains Drug packager files plans for $30 million plant
June 20, 2019
Selkirk Pharma Inc., a young injectable-drug manufacturing and packaging company headquartered in Spokane, plans to build a new, roughly $30 million manufacturing facility on the West Plains. Selkirk Pharma is a contract manufacturing organization i... READ MORE